Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

For tonight’s veggie, I decided to try out the curry-butter asparagus recipe from Vegetarian Planet, only I simplified it a bit over the version in the book. I used all the same ingredients, but after mixing together the butter, the book has you shape it into a log, chill, and then place a pat of butter on each serving. Instead, I simply poured the butter mixture over the asparagus once I’d drained their cooking liquid, and tossed to coat.

curried butter asparagus

I thought this was awesome…but then asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and I rarely feel that its steered me wrong.


My favorite place on the web for faux-meat recipes, time and again, is Vegan Dad because he’s got tons of original ideas, and they always look SO good. This week he made a “smoked-turkey” style lunch “meat”, and not having much love for actual lunch meats even before going veggie…I have no clue why I was so enticed. His just looked so amazing, I had to give it a shot, even though I was pretty certain mine wouldn’t come out the same. I was right…mine doesn’t look the same. It’s got a much more yellow hue to it than his does, mostly in part to the Nutritional Yeast, but that was in his recipe as well. I also couldn’t cut mine nearly as thin as he did, which makes it look more like bread than lunch meat…although seitan often does.
smoked turkey
This found its home in a sandwich with Nayo, Grey Poupon, and Tomato, which unfortunately was devoured long before meeting a camera. My boyfriend says it tastes just like the Vegetarian lunch meat you can buy at the grocery store…having never eaten the packaged stuff, I can’t vouch for it., but if I’ve got the flavor down, I’ll take the preservative/chemical free version any day.



Selah.

1 Comments:

  • It has a somewhat "roasty" look to it though. I am still scared of seitan though. I had some finally to try and it tasted like a wet crouton. Yours I am sure was much better!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 11, 2008 at 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged