Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pumpkin with Fenugreek

I’ve been wanting to try cooking with pumpkin forever…mostly because I’ve never seen them made into anything but pie, and I felt they must have a greater potential. Well I was right…pumpkin as a savory dish is delicious…quite possibly among my favorite squashes. (Which reminds me, I’ve been craving spaghetti squash; the texture is quite unlike anything else)



Sugar Pumpkins were on sale last week, and I’d seen a pumpkin recipe in the “American Indian Cookbook”, so I figured I’d give it a shot. The recipe called for me to “peel and slice the pumpkin into chunks” and I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to peel a pumpkin, but it’s neigh impossible. If anyone knows a trick, I’d really appreciate the tip for any future pumpkin endeavors. I ended up leaving the skin on and throwing the pumpkin in the pot with the other ingredients. Because of the skins I wasn’t able to mash everything as the recipe called for, and instead we had to use a fork to separate the flesh from the skin of each piece while eating.
pumpkin with fenugreek
The skin issue aside, this was really good, although it had a serious kick. The recipe calls for a full teaspoon of cayenne, but I’d definitely cut that down a bit…perhaps the author’s cayenne is less potent than mine. Regardless, this was great rolled up in a naan for lunch (separated from the skin of course) along with a handful of cilantro, and the pumpkin seeds, which I roasted with salt and olive oil.



Selah.

1 Comments:

  • I love pumpkin! I buy small pumpkins that have fairly thin skins and use a paring knife. A teaspoon of cayenne? Wow - that would be pretty hot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged