Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Seitan Pot Pie

This was an idea I had awhile back when a co-worker was talking about his favorite food…chicken pot pie. My immediate thought was ‘why on earth haven’t I done that?” and I set about coming up with a recipe. I don’t know that I’ve ever had a real pot pie…even in my pre-vegetarian days, but I’m familiar with the basic idea. I used the crust recipe found here and made the mushroom gravy recipe fom V’con, minus the mushrooms and onions. For the “chicken” I chopped up some homemade seitan (the V’con recipe again) and poured it into the crust along with chopped carrots, celery, frozen peas, and the gravy.
seitan pot pie
The contents were covered with another layer of pastry, and then I baked everything in the oven for 30 minutes at 400F…although in retrospect, 40 minutes at 375F would have been a much better idea...I’ll know for next time. I’m glad I tried this…does it need some work? Absolutely, but it’s got the beginnings of a great, Vegan, comfort food meal without a ton of fat, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Selah.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged