Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2008

The BEST, most eclectic dinner ever

Forget themes, random is WAY more fun...and tonight's meal was definitely fun. Fun and DELICIOUS...so really, what more could you ask for?

This was a 3 course extravaganza, and it was all ready (start to finish) in under an hour. Pretty sweet huh? Be jealous.

The only dish of the three that was the least bit time consuming, were the Gujarati-Style Hot Sweet and Sour Potatoes from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. (I've got it out from the library right now, and the more I read the more I want to buy it) These were AMAZING. I like potatoes...I cook them a lot...I probably eat more than I should, considering they're sugar laden, high carb juggernauts....but I've never had them like this. I somehow managed to cook them to perfection, and in their sauce laden, very spicy, but also surprisingly sweet state...they didn't taste like any potato dish I've ever had.
sweet and sour potatoes
This must be what potatoes were MEANT for, thank you Madhur!!!

The green part of the meal could not have been more simple, and unlike with yesterday's escarole, I didn't blow it this time. We'd picked up some exciting "spring rabe" at the Farmer's Market, and I treated it just as I would normal brocolli rabe...which is to say I piled it in a skillet with olive oil, garlic, salt, and chili flakes, and stirred it around while it wilted down to perfection. Could NOT have been better.
Photobucket
I have to say that the coolest part about rabe, is being able to cook something that looks big, leafy and spinach like....and having the kitchen smell EXACTLY like broccoli. I think that's wild.

Last but not least, we were coming back from the pool earlier today, when my boyfriend mentioned that he really had a craving for buffalo wings. Since neither one of us eats chicken, that wasn't going to happen. I did however remember some remaining Franks Buffalo Sauce in the fridge, and it was suggested that in a marriage with the block of fried tofu from the Asian Market, we may have a match.
buffalo tofu
I cut the fried tofu into triangles, and then refried those in a skillet to crisp the "inside" parts of the triangles. Once fried, I tossed the tofu in a mixture of the bottled sauce and a healthy addition of cayenne pepper, since we'd decided the product was a bit mild for us the last time.
This was SO good. While the pre-fried tofu helped speed the process a bit, I'm sure it would be just as good starting with plain old extra firm. With a side of blue cheese dressing (what can I say...sometimes I'm bad) it simply couldn't be beat.

I wish I could magically bring this dinner back for a second time tonight...it was THAT good, and all its parts will be recurring in my (not-to-distant) future.

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged