Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chickpea Cutlets and Potato Muffins

This was created to be a fairly simple comfort-food meal, and it filled that role nicely. I’ve made the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon before (pre-blog) but they came out a bit different this time. I think I used a bit less vital wheat gluten than usual, and fried them a little longer than before, so they had some more crisp on the outside, and weren’t quite as chewy as the first time around.
chickpea cutlets
They were definitely good though...more than good enough to warrant the use of a can of chickpeas which could otherwise have become hummus.

In the past I’d served them up with the red wine roux, which was pretty good…but this time we made the mustard sauce (also from V’con) and they were even BETTER. I’m officially in love with the mustard sauce, I’d never think to put capers and mustard together, but the briny flavor is AMAZING.



For as long as I can remember, my grandmother has made these potato muffins that I am absolutely in love with. Think a potato latke…in the shape of a muffin, and you have them exactly. I’m not going to share the exact recipe because I think it may be a family secret, but it’s very simple. However you prefer to make your latkes, eliminate the flour and then fill muffin tins with the mix. Be sure to fill them to the top, because they won’t expand, and put a drizzle of oil on the top of each one before cooking. Mine were a bit mushy inside, but I think that’s because I didn’t drain the shredded potatoes and there was just too much liquid in them.
potato muffins
I ate mine plain, but my boyfriend smothered his in some more of the mustard sauce, and all reports were positive. I’ve also been thinking about some variations on these…a sweet potato version could be out of this world. And now that I’m thinking about savory dishes made in muffin tins…personal noodle kugels…SCORE!



Selah.

1 Comments:

  • I love mustard in all forms so I will try the mustard sauce and the potato latke muffins look so delish.

    I'm on a big potato things since I have been eating so much raw food lately. ALl I want is cooked potatoes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 1, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged