Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I made another recipe from Vegetarian Planet today, this one being the Indonesian bean curd stew. This had a very similar flavor profile to Thom Kha Tofu, although there was no soy sauce, which was pretty exciting, because I’ve been feeling a bit of “soy sauce-overload” lately. I also eliminated the “optional” cilantro from the recipe since I felt that would make it a bit too similar to Thom Kha. The chunks of Carrot and Zucchini that gave it its “stew” designation were absolutely delicious, and cooked to perfection in the broth. I might even double the amount of vegetables in future renditions, because really, I can never get enough zucchini. Eggplant cubes are a definite possibility as well… I also omitted the green beans the recipe calls for (I think they get soggy and gross in soup) and instead used button mushrooms, which were delicious.
indonesian bean curd stew
The entire concoction was served over Chinese Sweet rice, and while the rice was a bit overcooked, I can’t say anything bad about the stew. In fact, all told, I think I like it better than Thom Kha. I am however a bit concerned about the amount of coconut milk I’ve been using lately, especially since I recently read that one can of coconut milk has more saturated fat than a 16 ounce sirloin steak. Ouch. I could of course try the lite version, but I’m told that it’s severely lacking in the flavor department…Anyone have ideas for coconut milk substitutions?



Selah.

3 Comments:

  • I use the lite coconut milk all the time and truly cannot tell the difference - perhaps it matters which brand you use? I know exactly what you mean about over soy sauced. I also use lite salt soy too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 26, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

  • Lite coconut milk tastes fine but it's not nearly as creamy. But if you're really worried about fat content, Bryanna Clark Grogan has a very low fat recipe where she uses coconut extract and non dairy milk so that could be an option too?

    By Blogger Amy, At August 26, 2008 at 11:44 PM  

  • I think it's more the texture I'm concerned about than the taste...I like the creaminess coconut milk adds that nothing else seems to.

    I also use tamari instead of normal soy sauce because of all the talk about unfermented soy being bad for women...unfortunately I don't think tamari comes in lite..at least not where I shop. When I go out for sushi or something I always choose the lite..they taste the same to me..

    By Blogger be'ershevaboheme6, At August 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged