Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shakshukah

When I spent the semester in Israel, I had one of two things for breakfast every day...the first was Israeli salad...fresh chopped cucumber,tomato, and bell pepper with lemon juice,olive oil,salt,pepper,and zataar. The other thing was Shakshukah. Think scrambled eggs, but with more tomato and veggies then eggs...in this case they're simply a thickening agent so that the finished product holds shape better on toast.
Photobucket
I'm sure you could mix a pre-made tofu scramble into this as well...but today I went with the original.

Ingredients
1 can pureed tomatoes
1 md. onion,minced
1 ripe tomato,chopped
Approx. 10 leaves fresh basil, julienned
3 lrg. mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. minced garlic
3 eggs
hot paprika
garlic salt
dried oregano
cumin

Directions
1. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and onions,and sautee until translucent. Add the mushrooms,tomatoes, paprika, garlic salt, oregano, and cumin. Stir for a couple more minutes.
2. Add the can of pureed tomatoes and allow everything to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the eggs and basil, and mix until thickened and resembling a somewhat loose version of scrambled eggs.


This is best divvied up on toast...I'm currently hooked on a whole wheat sourdough,although it works on anything. I do intend to try it out with a tofu scramble in the future...I'll post the recipe when I do...

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged