Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Beef" N Broccoli over Lo Mein

We haven’t had broccoli in a while, and broccoli always makes me think Chinese takeout, so that’s essentially what I did. I’m not sure what takeout places put on their beef and broccoli, because to my memory, it’s pretty different then what I came up with. It was still good though, so I can’t really complain.
Photobucket

Ingredients
1 large chunk seitan, sliced into bite sized pieces
2 crowns broccoli separated into “trees” (That’s what I call the florets)
¼ cup shoyu
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
Approx 3 tablespoons hoisen
Couple tablespoons Plum Sauce
1 teaspoon chili flakes.

Directions
In a large bowl, combine water and cornstarch, followed by all the other ingredients (including seitan) except the broccoli. Allow to marinate for about ten minutes.
In the meantime, heat a couple tablespoons of peanut oil in a wok. Add the broccoli, and once it’s been tossed to coat, pour in the remainder of the ingredients. This will take about ten minutes to cook completely, preferably covered. If all the sauce thickens and the broccoli isn’t fully cooked, add more water, a couple tablespoons at a time.


I elected to boil some organic lo mein noodles and toss them in with the seitan and broccoli when just about done, but you could serve this over rice or whatever grain rocks your boat. The only issue I had with the dish was that it was a bit slimy, but then cornstarch thickened sauce on pasta often gives me that impression.

Selah.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged