Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baby Bok Choy with Shallots and Miso Soup

I've made the baby bok choy recipe from V'con a few times, but it's been awhile, so it hasn't seen the light of "blog" yet. The sad thing is...I'm just not as enamored with it as I used to be. This was the BEST baby bok choy recipe ever...until I made the baby bok choy with wood ear mushrooms from "World Vegetarian" and it simply slunk off into the shadows.
baby bok choy with shallots
This was the first time I'd actually made it with the shallots the recipe called for, since I usually don't have any on hand and replace with onions. Having now tried both, I actually prefer the onions, they lend a bit more sweetness to the dish when nicely caramelized.

I also made a miso soup, although it didn't occur to me that miso soup by nature LOOKS out of focus. It becomes even more so when you attempt to take a picture of it, so you'll just have to take my word that it looks the way miso soup should.
miso soup
I used the most basic of recipes for the soup, and it went something like this:
Ingredients
2 cubes veggie bullion
approx. 5 cups water
3 tbsp. brown miso paste
splash tamari
1/4 block medium tofu cubed
1 white button mushroom, sliced
1 scallion stalk, sliced on an angle

Directions
1. Boil water with bullion cubes, once it comes to a rolling boil, turn it down to med/low.
2. Add mushroom and tofu.
3. Put the miso in a separate bowl, add a ladle of soup, and mix together until dissolved.
4. Add miso mixture along with scallions to soup, and allow to simmer for 3-4 more minutes before serving.


This was a nice, light, Asian meal..now to seek out my green tea ice cream bar for desert...

Selah.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged