Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Coconut Curry

I'd been thinking about making a coconut curry for a long time, the problem is, when I finally got around to it yesterday, I used too much coconut and not enough CURRY...ah well, live and learn. It wasn't bad, just more mild and sweet than I had been hoping for. Most people would probably find mild and sweet to be a good thing, but we all know I'm into heavily spiced food with a kick, so it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I'll admit the sweetness was my own fault, in addition to the coconut milk, I put tamarind paste in the sauce and one of the ingredients was canned leechee added with a bit of their juice.
leechee curry
This was served over some rice (as all good curries are) and the recipe follows...feel free to mess with it, I plan to.
Ingredients
I crown broccoli, sliced
1 can leechee fruit, retain about half cup of juice
1 cup frozen peas
handful mung bean sprouts
handful sugar snap peas
1 red bell pepper, large dice
1 white onion, sliced
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 dried red chili peppers, whole
1 can coconut milk
3 tbsp. tamarind concentrate/paste
1 tsp tandoori masala
3 tbsp turkish curry powder
2 tbsp. peanut oil

Directions
1. In a large saucepan (I use a wok) pour the peanut oil, and heat to medium. Add garlic, onion, red pepper, and broccoli. Cook for about 4 minutes.
2. Add the peppers (seeds intact)leechee, sprouts, peas, and sauce ingredients. Once you've poured in the coconut milk, put the curry powder in the empty can with about a 1/4 cup of water to create a "broth" and add.
3. Once the contents of the wok have come to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Cook for approx. 20 minutes.


I was hoping to obtain a lot more heat from my peppers, but they're rather old at this point, and unfortunately seem to have lost their real kick...so time to buy more!

Selah.

2 Comments:

  • This sounds so good. I love curries of any variety. I do like a bit of a kick to them too. My Mom is the crazy one though when we go out for Thai curry - she likes it screamin hot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 9, 2008 at 4:12 AM  

  • I LOVE the insane Thai curries. There's this great place near me where they rate their curries by Star's. 1 is very hot, 2 is EXTREME HOT (what I order and love) and 3 is apparently for the Thai only...that's what they say, lol.

    By Blogger be'ershevaboheme6, At August 9, 2008 at 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged