Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Friday, August 15, 2008

Guy Fieri's Veggie Burger

There are a few reasons I love Guy Fieri so much. One is his personality...he's just plain cool, and he brings some much needed life to the food network morning line up. The other big reason? While he's not Veggie, his sister IS a long time vegetarian, and he's very good with supplying Vegetarian entrees that I can try out.

The original recipe for these can be found here, although I must admit mine don't hold their shape nearly as well as his appear to.
veggie patty burger
I also made a couple changes, so I've pasted his recipe below along with my own alterations that you can try out. (or not)


2 ounces olive oil
3 tablespoons diced red onion1 whole white onion, diced
2 tablespoons diced black olives
2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
teaspoon diced jalapenoHalf habanero, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
1 tablespoon diced artichoke
4 ounces black beans, drained
4 ounces chickpeas, drained
4 ounces white beans, drained
6 ounces rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons celery salt1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg

In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.

Put beans in a large mixing bowl, and mash coarsely. Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients along with the egg. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.


They were served up with a couple kosher dill spears and a glass of pomegranate iced tea....mm perfect.

Selah.

3 Comments:

  • I adore Guy! I think he totally rocks and it is so cool that his sister is vegetarian. I love that he has a great sense of humor. I don't watch Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives though anymore because of all the meat. Is his other show better?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM  

  • He does cook meat on his show..although it's with a fair mix of vegetarian. I watch diners, drive-ins and dives avidly too though...the meat doesn't really bother me...not when I get to hear phrases like "it puts the shamalanga in ding dong"

    By Blogger be'ershevaboheme6, At August 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

  • It took me and my daughter(she is the real vegetarian, I"m just trying) quite a while to like Guy, but you know what? He is real. He is someone I would invite to my home for dinner and dnot feel threatened by him. Others on the Food Network, I think they would come here and judge my kitchen. So no thanks.

    And I actually saw this episode(Watching lots recovering from back surgery), and he also had his mom with him as well, she has been on a few episodes as well. But I was freaking out when I saw this. I yelled for my daughter to come and watch it with me. So once I get all the ingredients together, I am so there.

    Love your blog!!

    By Blogger The Cooking Lady, At August 21, 2008 at 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged