Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Kale!

veganmofo
Kale is a super food…it’s so packed with nutrition that you can practically do a Popeye style flex after consuming just a few bites. So knowing all this, I must be eating it everyday, right? Weeelllll…maybe not everyday. I’ve had a lot of bad kale experiences…it’s very chewy, it can be a little bitter, the huge curly leaves have a habit of taking over any dish to which they’re added…kale scares me, and that’s the honest truth.
All that aside, I was feeling brave this week, and so I decided to pick up a huge bushel of kale leaves, and see what I could do with them.
The result was AWESOME, and even my other half, who prefaced the meal by saying he HATES kale, invited me to make this recipe as often as I want.
kale

Ingredients
1 large bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped into ribbons
Organic Bac-Uns
Red Chili Flakes
Splash Umeboshi Plum Vinegar
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Directions

1. Boil 4-5 cups of water in a large pot. Once the kale is prepared, add it to the boiling water and cover. Allow to cook for approx. 5-7 minutes, until the Kale is bright green and has wilted down significantly.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet/wok. Drain the kale into a colander, and then add it to the oil, tossing to coat.
3. Add a generous splash of the umeboshi vinegar . Sprinkle generously with the Bac-Uns, pepper, and chili flakes, but be stingy with the salt…there’s plenty already in the umeboshi.
4. Stir the greens, and allow them to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
5. Serve!



I could’ve had bowls and bowls and bowls of this…for the first time in my life, I was bemoaning how much kale shrinks down, go figure.

Selah.

5 Comments:

  • I was not a kale fan truly until I started juicing it. And then I put it in soup and started cooking it up similarly to your recipe here. I definitely want to make this!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

  • I'm going to have to try this recipe. I love kale and don't eat it nearly enough. In fact I'm gonna bookmark this right now.

    By Blogger Monique a.k.a. Mo, At October 5, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

  • I love kale in soups, but any greens sauteed with garlic rocks! I have never tried Bac-uns?

    By Blogger Sheree', At October 6, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

  • veg-a-nut...I use Frontier Organic Bac-Uns..they're basically TVP with hickory flavoring (that's what I gather from the label anyway)...they're in the small organics section of my normal grocery store,so they shouldn't be too hard tofind?

    By Blogger be'ershevaboheme6, At October 6, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

  • kale is one of my faves - I even like it plain (but cooked). I don't eat it that much, which is strange because it doesn't take long to prepare, unlike spinach.

    By Blogger Bethany, At October 8, 2008 at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged