Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tempeh Bacon

As promised, I have the tempeh bacon from VwaV...
Photobucket

This was REALLY good...chalk it up on the slowly growing list of tempeh foods that I actually enjoy. It's no bourbon glazed meatloaf...but it's awful close. I think the trick to this is to burn it...mine was literally black on the bottom, but it tasted great..and smelled frighteningly like real bacon...I was almost scared to eat it lest it had morphed into a pig at some point in the cooking process.

I also attempted the TVP burgers from VwaV today, but that was such a failure I can't even take a picture. They smelled great...but didn't hold together AT ALL in the grilling process. Now I need to come up with some recipes to stuff flavored TVP into...

Did anyone have luck with that recipe who'd like to share their secrets?

Selah.

4 Comments:

  • I don't have the patience to marinate tempeh bacon. I made it once...now I just use the same ingredients and mash it up like a tempeh bacon hash. Yummmy. Yours looks really good though, I like things burnt :D

    I have never made those TVP burgers. My favorite TVP burgers though, are from just the food, the Ortega Burgers. They're SO good. Although I don't eat them anymore because they use wheat gluten, and I have a gluten sensitivity *sigh*

    By Blogger Gina, At January 15, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

  • Oh YUM! That makes me wish I could eat tempeh so badly!

    Sorry, I can't help with the burgers, I can't eat the TVP in them either :( I think there was a thread recently on the Post Punk Kitchen forums about it though, you could try to search there maybe.

    By Blogger Amy, At January 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM  

  • Don't quote me, but I was reading something lately that said due to the fermentation process, a lot of people allergic to soy can actually eat tempeh without a problem...I'd definitely check with a higher power before trusting me on that though...

    By Blogger be'ershevaboheme6, At January 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

  • No, I think you're right, I think I read that too, but I tried it once, I ate 2 small slices and my tummy wasn't happy. I know I'll cave once I've forgotten sufficiently and try it again though ;)

    By Blogger Amy, At January 17, 2009 at 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged