Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Potato-Watercress Hash, Stir-Fried Turnip Greens, and Asian Marinated Tofu

Photobucket
I realize that the sweet potato hash recipe in VwaV is supposed to be a breakfast food, but I really don’t think I’d want it for breakfast. The sweet potatoes are very rich and savory, and watercress is simply not a breakfast vegetable as far as I’m concerned. Don’t get me wrong, this was REALLY good, I’m just glad I chose to make it for dinner. I’m not sure how Isa cooked her sweet potatoes in 12-15 minutes like the recipe said though. I ended up covering mine (which wasn’t in the recipe) and it still took over half an hour for them to really get soft. I never even made it to the caramelizing step, since I was too hungry by that point. In the future I think I’d treat this as I do a normal hash…boiling the potatoes first, and THEN adding them to the skillet to crisp up.

I’d never had turnip greens before, but I saw them at the market this week, and was curious. I used the easy stir fried greens recipe from V’con, and was quite happy with the result. As it turns out, Turnip Greens are a bit bitter, and probably not my absolute favorite flavor (I much prefer milder greens like chard and spinach) but this wasn’t bad. The sauce ingredients definitely made the recipe. I might have mixed some sliced button mushrooms into this if I’d thought of it; they would’ve added some nice dimension to the dish. Something to keep in mind for the future…

Last but not least, were the tofu steaks, which I kind of screwed up. I used the Asian marinade recipe from V’con, and once again, decided to bake the tofu in the marinade. At some point during the 45 minutes at 400F, the sauce completely cooked away, in the process concentrating the shoyu, and making these much too salty for my liking. (someone else might tell you it’s a matter of opinion) When I make this recipe again, I’ll either drain the marinade before cooking, or halve the amount of Shoyu, so there isn’t so much in there to concentrate into the tofu. The crispiness on this was great though, so I’m happy with that.

Mmmm, I like an Asian inspired dinner that doesn’t involve pasta or rice of some variety; I’m thinking this is something I should do more often.

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged