Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2008

"half" Vegan quiche

I know there's no such thing as "half vegan". Either a dish is Vegan or it isn't...but with quiche I'm taking it slow. We're talking about a dish that's normally got three different dairy product, cheese, milk, and eggs. If I make a tofu cake in crust, that could very well be a good dish, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not a quiche.

The best thing about making quiches (I find) is that you can put whatever you have on hand into them, they're a great way to just finish off some produce or canned products, and things you never thought went together...become great friends. It all reminds me of a Ham on the Street episode on food network a couple years ago, when George Duran has a couple groups go into the supermarket and bring him back two random cans of their choosing, refusing to tell them what he's making. He ends up with one mandarin orange/cherry pie filling quiche, and one chickpea/tomato one, if I remember correctly. The tasters confirm that both are good.

Last night I had leftover Kale and Mushrooms in the fridge, and more sun dried tomatoes in the pantry. I also made a last minute addition of a quite random flavor.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water
I bunch kale, de-stemmed and wilted down
5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
Couple handfuls sun dried tomatoes
Two spoonfuls capers
1 HALVED recipe V'con Cheezy Sauce
approx. 1 cup soy milk
4 eggs
Sweet Paprika
Sage
Red Chili Flakes
Salt and Pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350. To make the crust, mix together the flour, oil, and water - add salt and pepper. Knead, and then press down into a pie tin, making sure it goes all the way up the sides.
2. Wilt the kale down in a skillet with lid, using oil and water for approx. 15 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and a handful of sun dried tomatoes. Once the kale is done, add all three ingredients to a large bowl, along with the prepared Cheezy Sauce from V'con.
3. Add 4 eggs soy milk, spices and capers, and whisk everything well. Pour combination into the crust, and bake in a 350 oven for one hour.

kale/mushroom quiche
My crust was pretty crunchy this time, I'm not certain why, since I used the recipe that normally works out great. It was very humid, and the dough seemed a little different from the usual, so that may have had something to do with it. Otherwise this was pretty good...I didn't miss the real cheese as much as I'd thought I would, and the random combination of veggies turned out fine...although the capers WERE a bit strange....

All in all a success though, and since I've never made the same quiche twice, it'll probably only get better next time.

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged