Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Homemade Ravioli and Squash Blossoms

I tried making homemade ravioli using wonton wrappers once before, but it was something of a disaster. The problem was that I made the raviolis earlier in the day, and then set them aside, planning to cook them later. By the time I got to them, the filling had soaked through the wontons, and all the ravioli were stuck together, so that they ripped into pieces as I attempted to cook them. This time was MUCH more successful.

ravioli

The recipe came from Guy Fierri’s “Big Bite” on food network, where I saw the show and wrote down what I remembered later. Since nothing is verbatim, and I’m sure the original can be found on the food network website, I have no issues sharing what I did.



Ingredients

Wonton wrappers

Corn

1 Red bell pepper

1 Onion

½ cup Ricotta

½ cup cream cheese

1 egg



Directions

1. Put corn, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper in a skillet, and cook.

2. Remove and add cream cheese and ricotta. Mash lightly.

3. Make an egg wash out of 1 egg and a splash of milk. Use a brush to put the egg wash on the wontons.

4. Put a spoonful of filling in center of wontons, cover with another wonton (use egg/milk wash to seal) and cut into circles. Cook in boiling water.




I’ll be perfectly honest…squash blossoms are NOT easy to find. Personally, I’ve been looking for them for nearly a year now, and until yesterday, had absolutely no luck. Of course it took me completely forgetting about it to find them…and I literally stumbled across a box-full at the local farmer’s market. Score!!!

squash blossoms

The recipe for these came from Jennifer Trainer Thomas’ book Jump up and kiss me-spicy vegetarian cooking, with a slight change where I used ricotta instead of sour cream. (I had extra leftover from the ravioli, and sour cream grosses me out so I don’t buy it). I’ve been wanting to make these forever, and they were SOOO good. We dipped them in vodka sauce for an extra kick, and although they were a bit hard to deal with, I’ll definitely buy them again given the opportunity.



Selah.

1 Comments:

  • Sooooo jealous - what I would do for squash blossoms. I am literally going to have to grow my own squash to get them!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged