Bok Choy Bohemia | A Vegetarian Blog

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

pasta fritatta

We’re running short on food at the moment, and since I want to wait until the farmer’s market on Friday to pick up new stuff, I’m stretching it a little creatively.



This morning I made a frittata for breakfast, but since all we had for useful veggies was 4 mushrooms and some frozen peas, I decided I was going to put rice noodles in the oversized omelet as well. I’d seen Rachael Ray make a “fettucini-alfredo-fritatta” once, and figured this would run along the same lines. We don’t have any plain pasta left (I told you we need to go shopping) so the choices were really just between the rice noodles and soba anyway.



This was actually pretty good, the only problem being that the pasta rising above the top of the eggs got pretty dried out in the oven, and practically returned to its raw state. All the noodles cooked completely inside the frittata were perfect.
Photobucket
I apologize for the picture being blurry...I took a whole bunch, but I think the lighting had something to do with none of them being really crisp.

Nevertheless, it’s good, so here’s the recipe. I’d probably recommend using normal pasta if you don’t have rice noodles, it would probably eliminate the issue with the pasta on top hardening.



Ingredients

4 eggs

1 cup milk

Cream cheese

Approx. 8 ounces rice noodles

Handful button mushrooms

Handful frozen peas

Hot paprika

Freshly grated nutmeg

Salt and pepper



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil water for the noodles. Follow cooking instructions on package.

3. Oil a good-sized skillet, and toss in sliced mushrooms.

3. Mix together eggs, milk, several spoonfuls of the cream cheese, frozen peas, and spices in a bowl.
4. Once noodles are cooked al dente, drain and pour them into the egg mixture. Give everything another stir, and pour it into the skillet over the mushrooms.
5. Cook the frittata over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until you can cleanly lift up the corners with a spatula. Finish in the oven until eggs look cooked on top.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes…slice and enjoy! (I like ketchup on mine)




You could definitely use normal powdered nutmeg, I just really enjoy using my new microplane grater on the whole stuff, and I do think it’s just a notch above.



Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged